Sunday, March 29, 2009

Flowerbeds, The Wedding, and 3 Ducks

I know that I’ve been really busy when there are 3 unread issues of Star Magazine at my house! It usually only takes me a day or two to read through one issue, but I just haven’t had the time.

The last time I blogged I talked about our front flowerbeds and the over-grown ground cover. I was so happy to know that they were about to be taken care of and looked forward to the arrival of the people that were going to remove all of this for us. Since then I have once again been reminded that good help is hard to find! The workers didn’t show on their scheduled date. Maybe because it was raining… I really didn’t expect them to show up anyway, but you’d think that they would have called or something. Well, they didn’t. It continued to rain, so I decided to wait on calling them until we had sunnier days.

While waiting on the rain to go away, Joe and I headed to Houston for Katherine and Ed’s wedding. My mom and Larry came here to watch Scarlett, Punkin, and Peanut. It was really nice to get away, and we had a great time!

Here we are at the wedding

On our way back Joe wanted to get a picture with the Sam Houston statue outside of Huntsville. This thing is MASSIVE! We actually pulled off to the side of I-45 (in front of the "Do not park here" sign) so that I could take the picture from the truck.

The rain finally stopped, so I started calling about my flowerbeds. I probably left a message daily for about 5 days. No call back. No nothing. So, Joe decided to do it himself. He started on it and then informed me that it was going to take him about 10 hours to get it all out. Hello. He doesn’t have 10 hours for something like this! Time is money. We need to be working on our businesses and taking care of Scarlett. So, I convinced him that we needed to go find some workers ASAP, and that’s what we did.

We found Carlos and Francisco working on another lawn in our neighborhood. It was mid-day on a Saturday afternoon, but they agreed to come by and give us a quote. I was quite pleased with their quoted price and asked them to start on it immediately. They decided to return the next morning at 8:00am. I was surprised that they’d be working on a Sunday, but I didn’t question them about it. I just wanted that crap out of my flowerbeds!

This is how far Joe got on pulling the ground cover out.

Well, Sunday morning arrived, but Carlos and Francisco did not. So, we all headed to Lowe’s and bought flowers, etc. to plant out front. We decided to work on the other side of the house until we could find someone dependable. Luckily Carlos called around 11:30am to let me know he was running late and would be here in about an hour. They didn’t show up until about 2:30pm. At this point we were in the middle of working on the other side of the yard and just kept going.

They ended up doing a pretty good job! Joe and I had to go back to Lowe’s the following day to get everything else we needed to finish everything up. We are both pretty darn pleased with the results and were so thankful that we got it all completed before it started raining again.

Well, a lovely cold front decided to blow in on Friday. We decided that it would be best to move all of our potted plants back into the garage. We could at least save those and hope for the best as far as everything else that was already in the ground. Joe woke me up on Saturday morning to inform me that it was snowing outside. Not a heavy snow, but a light one. He then got Scarlett up for the day and left to go fishing and camping for the night. As I was feeding Scarlett, Joe called. He wanted to let me know that 3 ducks were in our front yard. Sure enough, they were! They ended up staying in our yard most of the morning.


Scarlett & Peanut looking out the front window

Last night as Scarlett and I played in the living room, the phone rang. I went to check caller id, and saw that it was the original man that was supposed to have cleaned out the ground cover out front. I’m not sure if he wanted to re-schedule or what since I decided to let it go to v-mail. A high sense of urgency is obviously something he does not possess, and I cannot work or deal with people that don’t get it!

I ordered some marigolds from one of the neighborhood kids. I’m going to plant those once they come in and then post after pics.

No comments: